If you are a Nigerian student, studying in the UK can be expensive. But the good news is that almost all UK universities offer difference types of scholarships, grants and bursaries to help fund your study in the UK.
Due to the large number of students who wish to study at a UK university, this does mean that applying for a scholarship can be competitive though. But by researching the right scholarships, writing a compelling essay or letter and ensuring you meet all the required deadlines, you will be in with a great chance of securing funding.
UK university funding for Nigerian students
Scholarships, grants and bursaries can be broken down into three categories.
- Scholarship: A payment made to support a student's education, awarded on the basis of academic ability
- Grant: A payment made to support a student's education, awarded on the basis of ability, circumstance or financial need
- Bursary: A payment made to support a student's education, awarded on the basis of financial need
Scholarship deadlines are often months before the beginning of a course, so be sure to check the application process and what type of funding opportunities are available. If applying for a university scholarship directly, students may need to hold an conditional offer from the university before being eligible to apply for the funding.
What types of funding are available?
There are many different types of scholarships that Nigerian students can apply for.
- Full scholarships cover tuition fees and living costs
- Part scholarships can cover a variety or a small section of expenses you need to cover, such as living costs or whole or part of your tuition fees
- Country-based scholarships are only open to students of a particular region or country
- Course scholarships are only open to students on a particular course
- Government scholarships are funded by the Government, or run through companies such as Chevening or the Commonwealth Scholarships for Developing Commonwealth Countries
What will I need to submit when applying for a scholarship?
When applying for a scholarship at a UK university, students generally require to submit the following with their application forms:
- Proof of grades
- Reference letters
- An essay or personal statement
Depending on the type of award a student applies for, they will be judged on either academic ability or financial need.
Search Scholarships in the UK
You can search hundreds of scholarships, grants and bursaries at UK universities with our scholarship search. If you are confused or need further assistance in applying to study in the UK and applying for a scholarship, arrange a free consultation in Abuja or Lagos today.